Spray foam insulation is a spray applied plastic consisting of a mixture of two components, isocyanate, and a polyol resin. These two components come together at the tip of the spray gun, where they react and form a foam which expands. The form is applied on walls, roofs, around corners and on all contoured surfaces to form a continuous insulation and air sealing barrier. It may be used as an alternative to fiberglass.
There are two types of spay foam insulation.
- Open cell insulation: This is the type whereby the tiny cells are not completely closed. It has a spongy appearance. It is permeable to moisture but impermeable to air. It is advisable to use open cell insulation for interior surfaces.
- Closed cell insulation: This type is denser than the open cell insulation. It has small and compact cell structure. It is impermeable to both air and moisture. Closed cell insulation can be used for both interior and exterior surfaces. Also, it is more expensive as compared to open cell insulation.
- Powerful insulation – very effective compared to traditional insulation
- Energy saving – up to 40%
- Long life span – improves value of your home
Spray foam insulation is the best insulation because of its high expansivity which enables it to close all the cracks. It has a resistance value that is the ability to provide an air tight seal, of R-6 which is a value better than any other in the market today. Spray form insulation also provides a powerful insulation against noise and is therefore very useful in residential buildings.
Spray form insulation is a very efficient way of saving energy. It saves a lot of energy, up to 50% compared to other forms of insulation which only save up to 25%. This high energy saving ability is brought about by the fact that it thoroughly seals all cracks providing an air tight seal. Air leaks are the highest cause of energy loss accounting for 40% of all energy loss. Research has shown that spray foam insulation is 24 times less permeable to air than any other insulator in the market.
Long Life Span
Spray foam insulation can last for over 20 years. The inert polymer that forms it enables it to have a very long life span. This saves a lot of money for business and families making spray foam insulation very popular among such establishments. On top of that, the insulation continues to work at its optimal level even after all those years.